Tuesday 19 October 2010

In the Crew we Trust...

Perry’s Blog
In the Crew we Trust…

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."General Omar N. Bradley

Of course I have seen many brave acts over the years – usually, stunt-related activities that defy most people’s perceptions of what the human body can be subjected to.  But these stuntmen are professional, and their bravery is to a certain extent learned and mastered.  However, I remember one act of cool-handed action several years ago by an up-and-coming actor, Steven McColl, on location for Dead Eye Dick. 

I was rigging the action sequence alongside the Stunt Co-ordinator, Andy Bradford. We were filming on one of the tallest buildings in Glasgow city centre, and I was responsible for putting steel deck round the roof, and wiring the actor to a safe point.  As part of the action, Steven was expected to stand with his toes over the edge, facing the skyline and – although we had him on a wire and he was, in every respect, safe – I was very much taken with the young lad’s bravery (and trust in us).

On many occasions I have had the lives of actors and stunt personnel in my hands… but they always know that I have their safety at the top of my list – and I suppose they wouldn’t do the scene or the stunt if they didn’t trust me implicitly.



No comments:

Post a Comment