Tuesday 16 November 2010

Callan, the Equaliser

Perry’s Blog
Callan, the Equaliser

I’ve met many interesting characters over the years, from both behind – and in front of – the camera. I worked on a David McKenzie film called “Marcie’s Dowry” several years ago alongside several superb individuals: actors such as Gary Lewis, who went onto great things, notably in “Billy Elliot.” I also had the pleasure of working again with Sheila Donald (who I had worked with on Tony Roper’s “The Steamie”): a true lady of film. 

I am not prone to being overawed by fame or status, and was more than comfortable amongst these well-known actors. However I was, for the first time in my life, “star-struck”, because I was also working with a boyhood acting hero of mine: Edward Woodward

This TV and film-acting great was part of the reason I had got into the industry. Throughout my school days he was on the television almost unceasingly – as “Callan” and “The Equaliser” to name just two great pieces that he had made his own. 

However, despite his obvious place in entertainment history, what struck me most about this man was his true humility.  When I met him he was well into his 70s, with several heart bypasses added to his life’s CV. But despite the fact that he should have been taking things easy, he insisted on getting involved with all aspects of the filming process, including occupying the same green room, dressing room and crew room accommodation as everyone else in the team. He also made himself useful carrying and fetching camera boxes, sound equipment, props etc – in fact anything to help out the over-stretched crew.  What a dynamo of a guy! 

Incidentally, during all this activity he still had time to learn his lines and then present them, on cue, in a finely tuned and highly polished manner, which had us all gushing with admiration. His banter was amusing and relentless, but never attention-seeking. I considered him a true man of the people. And I am proud to say he made me feel one of his people too.

When attempting to demonstrate to him the workings and nuances of the UZI machine pistol, he turned to me and said: “My dear Perry, I have handled more Uzis than you’ve had hot dinners.”

Enough said! 

No comments:

Post a Comment